Planning Your Move
One of Wee-Move’s goals as your moving services provider is to make the moving process as stress-free as possible. Use this moving planner to keep track of your move in the months leading up to the big day.
Two Months – Before You Move
- Create a Moving Binder: You can use this binder to keep all your receipts and track of the things you will need during your move.
- Visit Wee-Move’s “Tools & Tips” to help make your move easier!
Get Rid of Old Junk and Dispose of What You Don’t Need
- Go through each room to sort, discard, and donate unwanted items.
- Plan a Garage Sale to get some money back to help pay for your move.
- Donate your unwanted clothing, furniture or other household goods (pots, pans, dishes, bedding, etc.) to your favorite local charities.
Don’t Wait and Start Packing
- Do you want to do any of the packings or do you want it done by Wee-Move?
- If you’re packing on your own, pack with appropriate boxes and don’t overfill them.
- Label Your Boxes Accordingly:
- Write the destination for each box (i.e. “Kitchen, Living Room, Dining Room, Master Bed, Master Restroom, Bedroom 1, Bedroom 2, Etc.)
- Describe the contents of each box.
- Be sure to mark FRAGILE in large letters.
One Month – Before Your Move
Who To Notify About Your New Change of Address?
- Submit a Change of Address Form to your local post office.
- Utility to Transfer or Cancel: Light, Water, Gas, Landline, Cable/Satellite, Internet, Etc.
- Home Service Providers: Home Security/Alarm, Pest Control, Laundry, Cleaning Help, Lawn Maintenance, Etc.
- Professional Providers: Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, Accountants, Etc.
- Personal Organizations: Work, School, Etc.
- Insurance Providers: Life, Homeowners, Health, Auto, Etc.
- Credit Bureau and Creditors: Stores, Credit Cards, Etc.
- Financial Institutions: Bank, Stock, Loans, Etc.
- Publishers: Newspapers, Magazines, Etc.
3 Weeks – Before Your Move
Choose Your Mover CarefullyThere are many moving companies out there, so choose your mover carefully.
- Find a Trusted Mover: Ask for recommendations from neighbors, friends, and relatives.
- Check Online Reviews: Find out what past customers had to say about the mover.
- Visit the mover’s website or other social platforms.
- Get more great tips on hiring a mover at our FAQ’s Page
Schedule The Moving AppointmentOnce you’ve selected your mover, make sure you get everything in writing. Movers are required to provide you with a written proposal prior to loading your items.
- Call Wee-Move Moving Company to receive a free moving estimate.
- Let the Wee-Move representative know of everything that is going to be moved.
- Lock in your move-out date and confirm your moving plan when you officially book your move.
2 Weeks – Before Your Move
Prepare Your Friends and Family
- Have a going-away party for your kids and their friends.
- Think about what items you’ll NEED for the trip and your first night in your new home. Set them aside so they don’t accidentally get packed.
- Items for the Road: Maps, Snacks, Flashlight, First-Aid Kit, Prescription Drugs, Credit Cards, Cash on Hand, Emergency Road Equipment, Cell Phone Charger
- Plan for Travel
- Check your car if you’re driving get a tune-up, check tires, brakes, fluids, etc.
- Make family travel plans and reservations (hotels, airline, vehicle transport)
- If traveling far book any hotels or stops you’ll need to make along the way.
- Special Arrangements
- Request the day off from work to be present on moving day
- Make arrangements for child care if moving locally
- Make Arrangements for your pets. Make sure you have made travel plans for your pets. If you need to board them or leave them with friends, confirm those plans now.
Finalize Wee-Move Arrangements
- Find out if your new address needs special permissions or gate codes
- Double-check with the new property if you needed to schedule elevator use or parking permissions for the moving truck
1 Week – Before Your Move
- Pack a “personal” suitcase that will be needed immediately at your new home. Have this box loaded last or carry it with you in your car.
- Reconfirm travel reservations.
- Start using items that may get damaged (non-perishables)
- Return things you’ve borrowed like movies, library books, etc
- Collect things you’ve loaned, and items at the dry-cleaner, in lay-away, in cold storage, in a safety deposit box, etc.
2 – 3 Days – Before Your Move
Preparing Your Home
- Clean your home.
- Empty your fridge and leave to defrost and dry.
- Takedown permanent fixings you need to take down from walls and ceilings (i.e. drapes, light fixtures, and ceiling fans).
- Unplug all electronic appliances and televisions so they will be at room temperature during your move.
- Dispose of any personal property or debris left behind after packing.
- Drain gasoline and other fluids from lawnmowers, generators, snowblowers, etc. and other machinery and tighten all gas caps
- Dispose of flammables such as fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, acids, chemistry sets, aerosol cans, ammunition and poisons such as weed killers.
- Discard partly used cans of oil, paint, thinner, bleach or any other substances that may be flammable or combustible or those stored in containers that may leak.
As a customer, you have responsibilities both to your mover and yourself. They include:
- Reading all moving documents issued by the mover or broker.
- Being available at the time of pickup and delivery of your shipment. If you are not available you should appoint a representative to act on your behalf.
- Promptly notifying your mover if something has changed regarding your shipment (i.e. move dates, additional items).
- Making payment in the amount required and in the form agreed to with the mover.
- Promptly filing claims for loss, damage or delays with your mover, if necessary.
Before Wee-Move Movers Arrive
- Point out any extra fragile items to your movers. If certain items should not be packed or moved, mark them appropriately.
- Identify furniture that is fragile or weak to prevent damage
- Separate and mark items not intended to be moved by the movers
- Keep all valuables, important documents, and medications with you at all times.
- Be present to answer questions and give directions to the movers. Stay until they finish.
- If you have an inventory list please provide it to your mover
- Accompany the movers before items are loaded to resolve any questions regarding the condition of materials being moved.
- Inform the driver and the moving company where you can be reached during the move.
Before You leave
Take one final look throughout the house to make certain nothing has been left behind.
- Water shut off?
- AC and Furnace shut off?
- Windows shut and locked?
- Old house keys surrendered?
- Be present to answer any questions and give directions or have an authorized adult available to accept delivery and pay the charges for you.
- Pay the driver, according to the term of your agreement, before your goods are unloaded.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking of your goods.
- Check the condition of your items. Notify the mover immediately if you discover any damaged items and notate it on all copies of your Moving Services Contract.
You can find more information in our “UNDERSTANDING YOUR MOVE” Page