One of the most tedious tasks when moving is packing. Get ahead of the game and start packing ASAP. Waiting until the last minute can cause havoc when you move. Find out what you can do to get started.
- Plan & Organize Your Move
- Downsize, Declutter, & Make Room
- Stock Up Your Moving Boxes and Packing Supplies
- Pack & Label Your Boxes
- Pack Personal Boxes To Take With You
- Working With Movers
Step #1) Plan and Organize Your Move
Preparation is key to ensuring a successful move. Don’t wait until the last minute, planning ahead will give you a head start to planning correctly.
- Plan Your Move: Planning for your move can take some serious thinking. Take a look at our Moving Checklist to follow our recommended moving timeline.
- Get Organized: Create a Moving Binder to put away receipts of the supplies you purchase so you can keep track of your moving expenses. Also, this will be a great place to keep your receipts handy in case you need to return anything you didn’t use.
Step #2) Downsize, Declutter, & Make Room
Know What You Will And won’t Move
The less stuff you move, the less expensive your move will be. One of the things you will realize is the ungodly amount of junk that you have accumulated over time. Moving is a good reason to get rid of the things you don’t need anymore.
Categorize This Task Into Four Groups:
- Sort: Things you want to keep
- Discard: Things to toss out (broken items or missing pieces)
- Sell: Things that can be sold to make money when you move
- Donate: Things you don’t want but could be given away
Step #3) Stock-Up On Moving Boxes & Supplies
Make a supply run to make sure you have everything you will need to pack everything you need to move into your new home.
Step #4) Pack & Label Your Boxes
Label & Code Your Moving Boxes
- Label Accordingly: Write down the destination, describe the contents, and special instructions.
- Use The Color Code System: Pick a color for each room and place a sticker on the sides of your boxes to categorize them.
Step #5) What To Take With You When You Move
Chances are you will be too tired to unpack your boxes. Preparing an essentials bin will give you easy access to the important items you will need after you settle into your new home.
- Pack a clear plastic bin: Allows you to see what’s inside
- Bedroom: Change of clothes for moving day, during travel, and after you arrive at your new home.
- Bathroom: Toilet paper, hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower curtains, and towels
- Kitchen: Hand Towels, napkins, disposable dishes/cups/utensils
Set aside a “personal suitcase” for things you will need immediately at any time. This bag or suitcase should be loaded last or at the very least loaded with you in your car. To keep things you can’t go a day without.
- Pack A Survival Box: Pack the things you use every day and night in a separate bag and keep this with you at all times.
- Pack to Travel: Laptop, phone chargers, keys, cash, medication, and snacks for the road.
Step #6) Working With Movers
- Point out any extra fragile items to your movers. If certain items should not be packed or moved, mark them appropriately.
- Identify furniture that is fragile or weak to prevent damage
- Separate and mark items not intended to be moved by the movers
- Keep all valuables, important documents, and medications with you at all times.
- If you have an inventory list please provide it to your mover
- Accompany the movers before items are loaded to resolve any questions regarding the condition of materials being moved.