Step #1) Plan & Organize Your Move
Preparation is key to ensuring a productive and successful move!
Create A Moving Binder. Use this binder to have easy access to receipts, contracts, leases, and other important documents that you will need when you move.
Step #2) Downsize, Declutter, & Make Room
Know What You Will and Won’t Move. The less stuff you move, the less expensive your move will be. Take advantage of the opportunity to start fresh!
Categorize This Task into Four Groups:
- Sort: Things you want to keep
- Discard: Things to toss out (broken items or missing pieces)
- Sell: Things that can be sold to make money when you move
- Donate: Things you don’t want but could be given away
Step #3) Stock-Up on Moving Supplies
Make a supply run to make sure you have everything you will need to pack everything you need to move into your new home.
- Moving Boxes
- Packing Tape
- Check out our (Amazon Finds)
Step #4) Start Packing As Soon As Possible
Pack for the new house, not the old one.
Label Your Moving Boxes Accordingly. Write down what’s inside each box and the room where it should go.
- Describe the contents inside: (i.e. “Books, DVD’s, DVD Player, Playstation, Etc.)
- Write the destination of each box: (i.e. Kitchen, Living Room, Dining Room, Master Bed, Master Restroom, Bedroom 1, Bedroom 2, Etc.)
- Write Special Instructions: in BIG / BOLD letters such as “FRAGILE” and/or “Don’t Place Anything On Top”
Step #5) Keep Essentials Nearby
Preparing essentials will give you easy access to the important items you will need after you settle into your new home.
- Necessities Bag: For the things you need easy access to (toiletries, chargers, napkins, disposable utensils and dishware, and some cleaning supplies.)
- Personal Suitcase: For the things that you can’t go a day without. (Medications, change of clothes, snacks, and water)
- Pack to Travel: Laptop, phone chargers, keys, cash, medication, and snacks for the road.
- Transport Valuables Yourself: Important documents, medications, etc.
Step #6) Final Touches Before Moving Day
24Hrs – Before You Move
- Clean your fridge, then leave to defrost and dry
- Drain gasoline and other fluids from lawnmowers, generators, snowblowers, etc. and other machinery and tighten all gas caps
- Be fully packed BEFORE moving day
- Place Boxes Near the Front Entrance or garage for quick loading
Do a Final Walkthrough – Before You Leave
- Before you leave do a final walkthrough to check all rooms, closets, and cabinets for any missed items
- Don’t forget to check if all water lines are shut off, light switches are set to off, windows are closed and locked
- Take photos of your new home before you move anything in.